Thursday, February 7, 2013

Masquerade Art

I simply love to make masquerade masks, but I haven't been able to in a while (due to financial restraints).  I also love painting (and playing the guitar).  I just love creating!  I love art and music more than anything in the world (except for my daughter, my boyfriend, and my pet rats).  I love constructing things and doing things with my hands...  As a kid, I always wanted to be constructing, deconstructing, or reconstructing something (even if I'm not always the best at it)!  Anyhow, this is a blog post that is supposed to be about Masquerade masks and art that has to do with them, not a documentary on my life!

As I said before, I love to make masquerade masks, but haven't been able to for a while because I haven't had the money to purchase the material.  Out of the blue, I just decided to Google the EXACT words "functional masquerade art ideas" today.  Here are some of the things I found:


The above webpage has an article about the history, meaning of the word, etc. surrounding Masquerade masks.  There is also a link to another webpage, directly below the article (which I will post right underneath this sentence).

It is to a website called "Labyrinth Masquerade."  It is apparently some sort of venue/event thing in Los Angeles, but since I am too broke and live too far away, I wont be going to it anytime soon (if ever), as much as I would love to!  It looks like they have some sort of masquerade hotel theater thing going on, and it looks pretty darn cool! :)

A quick note about the first link on this post:  There are three images of masquerade masks featured on that page.  The first on is of what appears to be a three-faced lady.  It is kind of strange, yet interesting, and beautiful all at once!  Its got the one face in the center, and then its got one on either side looking off in opposite directions.  The one in the center looks kind of mad or concerned, but it is still quite a pretty mask.

The second one is a simple gold mask, with (I'm guessing) a ribbon edging and a single rhinestone.  This picture has a background that appears to feature the mask being on a porcelain face (a mannequin, maybe?), and feathers.

The third and final image featured on the article page, is a long-nosed white mask with accents of silver and a few musical notes on it.

Of the three, I'm going to have to say that my favorite is the three-faced one, but they are all still really pretty.


************************************************************************************************************

Reverting back to my Google search, the very first image to pop up (and it actually fits the search.  Yay!) is a picture of a potted plant with the pot being made to look like a masquerade mask.  Below is the image of it and the link to the webpage it is from:



Oops...  I goofed!  LOL.  It isn't a potted plant in a pot "made to look like a mask."  It actually is a mask/hat combo.  Well, either way, it is nice.  This is simply beautiful (so beautiful I confused it for having real flowers)!

********************************************************************************************************

Here is a beautiful painting that pulls up for my search: 


This painting is done by an artist named Elsa Bluethner.  Here is a link to more art by her and more information about her:  http://faso.com/fineartviews/53851/faso-featured-artists-artist-elsa-bluethner

********************************************************************************************************


And finally, a link to the original search (posted above), where a lot of really pretty, beautiful, fantastic, interesting, strange, and unique things pop up (some of which are semi-related to the search, but a lot aren't).





-Bridgette <3 




P.S.  I just might post pictures of my own original Masquerade art one of these days! ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment